Fire/water damaged solid oak flooring

Old 01-01-11, 05:16 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fire/water damaged solid oak flooring

We had an unfortunate fire and part of the 20 year old red oak hardwood in a couple rooms have been burned (either due to the fire or due to falling ash).

My question is: if we replace just what was damaged with new red oak, will it look the same as the older flooring. Or does all of the flooring need to be redone to ensure that it matches?

We do not plan on staining the red oak (it isn't stained now); we will just have urethane put down.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-11, 05:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 153 Votes on 136 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Are you planning to replace all the hardwood in the affected rooms? How do they transition into the hallway?

I doubt the oak will look the same. Oak from various trees will finish differently even if it's done at the same time. Oil base poly will amber with age. That said, if you do a complete room and there is a threshold/transition strip at the door way - it should be acceptable.

Old 01-02-11, 09:01 AM
Hi and thanks for the warm welcome! I was planning on replacing the flooring in the bedroom where the fire occurred. I would like to replace it in the hallway and a second bedroom (falling ash from the burning item burned select boards in each of those rooms as it was carried through them), however I'm not sure the insurance company will pay for it since it's all not ruined.

The two bedrooms have doors into the hallway but they are at opposing ends of it. So, standing at one end, I could see down the hallway into the other affected room (and vice versa). I think continuity would be important in this case, but not sure the insurance company will agree!

Old 01-02-11, 02:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 153 Votes on 136 Posts
Are you doing the work or is a pro floor company coming in to do the repairs?

It's reasonable to expect slight color variances between rooms. If they intend to just patch the 2 rooms with partial damage, I would assume they'd sand the entire room so the replaced boards would look ok along side of the old boards. A transition board at the door opening should be enough to mask a variance in color.

Most insurance adjusters are reasonable enough that they won't make you accept day and night differences in the flooring although it is possible they might not be as picky as you [not saying you are extra picky] Has the adjuster been out to look at it yet? of so, what does he say?

Old 01-03-11, 08:33 AM
Group Moderator
Received 57 Votes on 54 Posts
I would think the insurance company would be willing to replace all the boards in a room (calling a hallway a room here) if many are damaged but you might not be able to get them to redo the whole house if some rooms are not damaged. However, you may need to be firm in demanding this or they may try to replace individual boards on you.

Old 01-25-11, 06:44 PM
Turns out the insurance process is quite slow! The adjustor just came out today! They do not want to replace all of the flooring; just individual boards. We are getting our own bids and will submit to them for consideration in comparison to the ones they are getting.

I'm curious about the insurance process (if anyone knows). I've always heard that you get a settlement check from the insurer. In this case, the insurance company wants to pay the contractors directly (but said we could choose them). Is that standard?

Old 01-26-11, 10:18 AM
Group Moderator
Received 57 Votes on 54 Posts
Every company is different, both scenarios are common

I'd fight them on the individual boards, you're likely not going to get a good looking match that way