oak threshold

Old 01-17-11, 06:15 AM
oak threshold

I put down a oak floor in my bedroom, the room is divided by a bath that has a tile floor, I want to put a oak threshold to divide them in the doorway, I can always nail into the oak to hold in place , what would I use on the tile side of it

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-11, 08:01 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I custom make all my doorway moldings, so it's hard to say whether or not you can find the appropriately sized threshold commercially. I just don't care for what is offered at big orange or blue. What you will need to do is figure the difference in height of the oak and tile. Locate, or have made a threshold that will fit over both the wood and tile with camfers on each long edge (so you won't catch your socks). Once you have it, you can nail through the oak flooring, and in most instances it will pull down tight against your tile. If you have reservations about the seal on the tile, you can always lay a bead of PL400 where the wood meets the tile, nail through the oak and it will stay. You may be able to do away with the nails altogether if you want to glue the entire threshold with the PL, add weights to it and let it dry overnight. It won't move.
Did you leave a gap between your tile and oak??? Should have. That would have allowed for a "leg" or "foot" of the threshold to rest on the subflooring, equalizing pressure between the two floors.

Old 01-17-11, 09:09 AM
thanks , I was planning on doing it the way you explained, just nailing it down on to the wood, and yes I did leave about a 1/4 gap between the floor and tile. fortunately they are almost even in height so chamfering will not be hard, I may even take a little on the tile side of the threshold and cut off