Question about salvaging laminate flooring that is already cut?

Old 01-24-11, 10:25 AM
Question about salvaging laminate flooring that is already cut?

So I just started laying some laminate in my upstairs with laminate that was in my downstair. As I neared the end, I realized I'm about 3 boards too few, but I still have several that are cut but still have tongue and groove on the other 3 sides.

Is there any way to salvage those pieces to fill in the rest of the space I'm missing? The issue is that it's an older style and to my knowledge, no longer sold.

Any advice on on how to make this work? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-11, 07:22 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You'll have no way to lock the 4th side down. You may get away with it if there's no other way, and you can be satisfied with the results. The loose side will always pooch up.

Old 01-25-11, 02:36 PM
Flooring

The cut ends can go against the wall as the first piece in a run.

If you are running courses left to right, the cut off piece at the right wall can be used to start the next course at the left wall.

Old 01-25-11, 04:16 PM
So there's no way to glue them down with laminate glue or something like that? It's the groove side that I'm missing for the last few pieces.

I was thinking if I sanded it down smooth and used laminate glue, I could set something heavy on it while it dries to hide the lack of the tongue/groove holding the pieces down.

Anyone ever tried this before?

Old 01-26-11, 03:13 PM
The tongues and grooves don't hold the pieces "down", they hold them together. I assume by "glue them down" you meaning gluing two adjoining pieces down to the subfloor. This won't work because the floor is designed to expand and contract with changes in temperature and humidity. As soon as this happens, either the pieces will separate or the adjoining boards will buckle. My advice is to install these boards in an area that will be under furniture. As long as you don't rearrange the furniture, you will forget their even there.

Old 01-26-11, 03:56 PM
Originally Posted by staabc View Post
The tongues and grooves don't hold the pieces "down", they hold them together. .
The tongues and grooves will hold the flooring down if all the adjacent pieces are "down". If you have a raw edge, unlocked, it will vary in height from the adjacent piece.

Old 01-29-11, 10:08 AM
Hmmm. Thanks for the info folks!

What about nailing them down? Would that limit the bowing?

Old 01-29-11, 03:29 PM
You can't limit the lateral movement of laminate floor. It will buckle on you. So nailing is out.