Can laminate flooring already on the floor be cut?

Old 01-29-11, 08:13 AM
Question Can laminate flooring already on the floor be cut?

My entire place in a laminate flooring by pergo and seems to be in pretty good shape, i had a small leak month ago and since then a few of the boards became warped. I have an idea to pull up the flooring in the kitchen and pet ceramic tyle in their and salvage some pieces and replace the warped boards. My question i can the laminate flooring be cut on the floor? i figured id use a transition piece for the kitchen, im in a condo and the flooring runs throughout. Ive looked for months and have been unable to find a piece to match. So again the question is can laminate flooring be cut while its on the floor?.

Any input would be apprieciated.
Anthony

Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-11, 09:06 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Anthony: Is the pergo glued or snap locked? Since the joints are offset, and if they are glued, it may present a problem replacing boards. If you just need to cut out a square to put in ceramic tile, then, yes, it can be cut in that manner. The best tool for that would be a multimaster. It is marketed by several companies, and you can buy an inexpensive (spelled may last a few jobs, may not) from some tool suppliers to a Fein which will set you back up to $500. You may can rent one, but buying one of the lesser expensive ones may work well. The tool vibrates as opposed to reciprocal or circular motion, and that vibration will cut without possibility of cutting things you don't want, like fingers
Mark out your floor and cut away with precision.

Old 02-01-11, 05:54 PM
I've cut laminate flooring already installed on the floor by using a circular saw, setting the depth to just under the thickness of the flooring. This will make sure you don't cut up the sub-floor, but also slice the planks enough so you can just snap off the piece you just cut.