subfloor prep for HW floor install

Old 01-31-11, 04:10 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
subfloor prep for HW floor install

ok newbee here,

i recently purchased a new home and i am in the process of renovating it. i have 2 1/4" Red Oak in 3 bedrooms and down the hallway. i am going to rip out the HW in the hall and replace it with 3 1/4" Red Oak which will go through the kitchen and dining room. now with my questions

1. in the kitchen it was originally laminate with a 3/4" ply sub over i think 1/2" or 3/4" ply which is on the joists. my question is: i ripped out the laminate floor and started to take up the 3/4" ply to make the room for the solid HW floor so that it will be level with the bedrooms flooring. and i noticed that the plywood under the 3/4" ply has some bounce to it. i was told by an installer who gave me a quote that when he installs the new HW it will run paralell to the joists and add to the stability of the floor is this an issue?

2. in the dining room which was originally a porch and is on a slab with framing and a plywood subfloor and laminate floor, the problem comes now with the recent weather here in the east, i have noticed some bubbling of the subfloor the bubbles being about the size of a grapefruit, any ideas on how to deal with this

thanks

will

Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-11, 04:20 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Welcome to the forums!!
1) Running the flooring "parallel" to the joists is a weak way to install it. It should be run perpendicular to the the joists. In any event, don't use the final flooring to solve the bouncy subflooring. I would add another 1/2" to the subflooring, which will raise it another 7/16". Don't allow your joints to fall on the same joist, but overlap them. Then install the flooring. You may have a little transition, but you won't have the bounce.
2) Solve the water problem before you even think of installing any flooring out there. It won't get better on it's own, and it won't go away.