click together over old parquet over slab on grade

Old 02-08-11, 02:21 PM
click together over old parquet over slab on grade

Hi - I have a friend who is asking if they cant just put their floating click on floor over their existing parquet which is just on top of their slab house. The parquet is those 4 square sheets with each square about 7 solid 3/4" wood pieces. The 4 squares have about a 1/8" foam backing and are just stuck onto the slab. I said I thought it was probably fine although you'd want to put down a slip layer first - maybe something like 15 lb. felt. THoughts pls?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-11, 05:04 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You have to consider the added height the new floor will add and how it will affect transitions to other rooms and door jambs as well as base molding. Use the manufacturer's specified underlayment for the new click lock flooring. You can bet 15 lb. felt ain't it.

Old 02-08-11, 06:17 PM
Makes sense. I did indeed tell him to get, and use, the mfctr instructions in the first place. But using the old parquet as a subfloor doesnt seem to be a problem. His house is similar to mine... I put down engr. hw over 3/4" plywood, so I got a good handle on the heigth issue, but I used felt, plywood, felt, finish wood and nailed mine down. Never used the click lock stuff. Should be interesting.

Old 02-09-11, 03:44 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Good luck with it. I would not put anything between the wood layers that won't breathe, like the felt. It may cause moisture problems. The manufacturer's substrate material should allow some breathing, if not "through" the materials, under it. Look at the red bubbly stuff at big orange and you'll see what I mean.