Laminate under uneven Baseboards

Old 02-19-11, 07:32 PM
Laminate under uneven Baseboards

Here we go,

I have removed carpet and tack-strips from concrete slab to install laminate flooring. What I have now is baseboards around the entire room that have approximately 1/2 depth under it but the height above the floor varies from zero to 3/4 inch in height. I assume the variance is simply from the slab shift over almost 30 years but the baseboard is level all the way around the room. (I know this sounds confusing). Alright, one more piece of the puzzle, the baseboard has to stay (long story). To even things out I am contemplating just making one consistent 1/4 gap on the outside around all the baseboard regardless of the amount the laminate "may" travel under the baseboards. Does this sound like my best course?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-11, 04:19 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You will install shoe molding (1/4 round in your case due to the height) around the perimeter, nailed to the baseboard when you are through. Yes, leave the space along the edges.
the laminate must expand and contract.The baseboard was installed properly, level, all around. The concrete was not poured level, apparently. No matter to carpet installers, as they will fill the void with carpet, anyway.