Uneven Sub Floor

Old 02-23-11, 08:58 AM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Uneven Sub Floor

I want to install hardwood but the sub floor is uneven (1/4" over 8'). I had the floor joists checked and have been told that structurally they are fine but the joists in the problem area are different heights and hence the 1/4' drop in the floor. I was told that the offending joist(s) can be shaved to create a level surface. Is this OK?

Old 02-23-11, 03:23 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 876 Upvotes on 767 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

..... so you've removed the sub floor? It should be ok to shave the high joist providing your joists aren't undersized to start with.

Old 02-23-11, 04:20 PM
O
No, I haven't removed the sub floor yet. Still in the planning stages. I would hope to only have to remove the section of sub floor to expose the high joist and then replace that section. I don't think the joists are undersized but what is the standard size. The house is approx 40 years old.

Old 02-24-11, 05:31 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 876 Upvotes on 767 Posts
Generally floor joist sizes start with 2x8s but it depends on the load and span. Longer spans require bigger joists.

Old 02-24-11, 12:47 PM
O
The joists are 2x8. If I shave a 1/4" off the joist that is slightly over 8" will I compromise the structure? I assume I'll need to expose the joists either side to know when I'm level.

Old 02-26-11, 09:50 AM
S
You said you have a 1/4" drop in the floor. You also indicated that one joist is high which would create a hump, not a dip. This is important because a dip can be addressed by shimming up the low joist, which is relatively easy. If you have a hump, I don't think planing it down 1/4" will cause much of a problem. To be safe though, I would sister 8" strips of plywood on both sides of the joist along the planed area, attaching them with good quality construction adhesive and 1/2" bolts, nuts, and washers top and bottom every two feet. Try to extend the plywood several feet past the planed area if you can't extend the to vertical support.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: