Refinishing older hardwood floors - how to sand under kitchen cabinets? and

Old 03-02-11, 04:54 AM
Refinishing older hardwood floors - how to sand under kitchen cabinets? and

is water based stain good to use? I mean does it have a rich color or anything negative to consider? My question about sanding under the kitchen cabinets was about sanding underneath the cabenit overhang because the sanding machine will only get so far and leaves about 1 1/2" that I can not sand with it.

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-11, 05:06 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Water based poly doesn't change the look of the wood any, other than sheen. Oil base poly will deepen the colors in both stained or non stained wood. It will also amber some over time.

I prefer oil poly as it's more durable and I like the look better. The pros for water based are low odor and quick drying times.

Old 03-02-11, 09:24 AM
I like the waterbased finish, it is a more natural color. It does darken the wood a little but nothing compared to the yellowing of other finishes. They do make an edger that can be used to get underneath the toe-kick of the cabinets. If you can't rent this, I'd suggest sanding lightly up to the cabinets. Then you'll want to sand with an orbital to feather it out underneath the toe-kick.

Old 03-02-11, 02:08 PM
Group Moderator
I'm with Mark in that I like the look of oil based poly better but not all have that same opinion