Clear overcoat

Old 03-02-11, 06:43 PM
Clear overcoat

Question regarding solid bamboo flooring overcoat: My floor is 5/8 thick by 3 & tongue and groove plank purchased from a major national lumber outlet. It has a urethane finish that has been durable. However, in the kitchen I would like to completely seal the surface with a compatible clear overcoat. Is there a thick viscosity product that will not completely drain into the joints between planks? The objective is to seal the floor from spills in the kitchen area and make cleaning easy

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-11, 07:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't know anything about bamboo floors but I do know a fair amount about wood finishes. The urethane should seal the wood! Did the flooring come prefinished? or was it sanded and finished on site? A light sanding and another coat of urethane should seal the kitchen floor if either the finish is failing or not enough was applied to start with.

Old 03-03-11, 03:59 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I agree with Marksr. The only thing I would be concerned with would be the differences in the sheen and slight color variation caused by applying another type sealer/poly over the bamboo. Especially if this is a continuous bamboo application from another room. If the bamboo was carbonized, that finish is like steel. The joints you have should not be large enough for poly to seep through. If so, you have more problems than finish.

Old 03-03-11, 05:11 PM
Carbonized Bamboo

Many thanks for the quick response. Yes it is carbonized bamboo. I do not have a wear problem with the finish. Again I simply am seeking a method to seal the cracks and joints between planks in an area that is prone to food spillage. The hope is by sealing the normally present gaps (which are only a few thousands wide) that cleanup will be improved.

Old 03-04-11, 04:17 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
A coat of poly should seal the cracks but you need to make sure it's compatible with the existing finish and either sand lightly or wipe down with liquid deglosser to promote a good bond.

We have parquet on our kitchen floor. I wiped it down with deglosser and applied a coat of poly over the factory finish. That was around 8 yrs ago and the floor has held up fine. It's also possible that a coat of wax will fill the minute gaps between boards. If you do use wax you'll need to completely strip the wax before any poly could be applied to freshen up the finish.