Hardwood on Sloping Subfloor?

Old 03-04-11, 11:29 AM
Hardwood on Sloping Subfloor?

I want to install hardwood flooring in my kitchen and dining room, but am concerned about the subfloor. It slopes in one direction pretty significantly (about 1" over an 8 ft. span). Is this going to cause problems with a nailed-down hardwood floor? There aren't high and low spots, it just slopes to a common point. We planned on using about a 5" wide x 3/4" thick plank. Will the width of the plank play a role?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-11, 01:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm a painter not a floor installer but I painted an old farm house that they installed new hardwood in. An upstairs bed room had a severe slope [several inches over 8'-10'], I expected them to shim it up but they just laid it down. It worked fine, just didn't look too hot. They used the standard 2.5" flooring.

I suppose leveling the floor isn't feasible ??

Old 03-04-11, 02:30 PM
No, leveling is not feasible. Leveler would just add too much height. My other option is ceramic tile, but that would add too much height as well. I didn't want to go higher than 5/8-3/4", which is another reason hardwood is an attractive option.

Old 06-05-11, 06:44 PM
Can someone chime in and tell me if hardwood would work or not? There aren't any severe dips per say, its just that the floor slopes in a couple directions. It is going to be 6-7k for the install so I want to be sure it lasts. We want to do at least a 5" wide plank and no thicker than 5/8", glue and/or nail down.

Old 06-05-11, 07:36 PM
if the subfloor is "flat". i don't see a problem.

Old 06-06-11, 03:42 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Mossman, the problem you will run into is the double dip. Dipping in one direction and laying the floor perpendicular to the run of the dip will allow the flooring to "bend" a little. However, in the other direction, the flooring will not bend and will cause problems. Flat subfloor is necessary for a good install. 5" wide planks will also limit the flexiblity of the installation. Narrower boards will work better.

Old 06-06-11, 04:00 AM
Why not find out what's causing the slope and correct that from below?

Old 06-06-11, 05:50 AM
Group Moderator
I laid 3/4" oak hardwood flooring that I stapled down. Our floor had quite a few dips and bumps and it went down just fine. Looks pretty good too.
I did stableize the floor but I could never get it back to level.

Old 06-06-11, 07:33 AM
How wide were are your planks? I would think the wider the plank, the more potential issues there would be. Does this make sense?

Old 06-06-11, 12:49 PM
Group Moderator
Mine are 4" wide white oak, 3/4". Had to bend a few into place but it was no problem at all.

Old 07-03-11, 04:32 PM
Are your floors still holding up? Is there any squeaking in the sloped areas where you had to bend the planks? Did you nail and/or glue? I would think both nailing and gluing would be ideal for an imperfect subfloor, right?