Which direction in hallway?

Old 03-14-11, 04:01 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Which direction in hallway?

Just a curious thingy. Which direction is best to lay hardwood in a hallway? I know the joisting will run across the hallway, and by all standards, the flooring should run perpendicular to the joisting, making lengthwise that choice.
BUT, since hallways are long, the grain would make it look longer. If you ran your flooring across the hallway, it may make it look more normal. Not to mention a lot easier to lay!! Or would it look too choppy for it to run across the hall?
I am speaking purely from an aesthetic standpoint, as I don't think the flooring will collapse in a 4' span with 1 1/2" subflooring.
Thanks for the responses ahead of time.

Larry

Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-11, 02:29 PM
My opinion is running it the length of the hall looks best. I don't care for the "ladder rungs" effect you get from laying it perpendicular to a long, narrow area. Of course, I've got to stick to the standard line, "always install perpendicular to the joists", but if you've really got an 1 1/2" thick subfloor, I think you could install either way.

Old 03-14-11, 03:15 PM
Thanks for the response. It's just in the planning stage, now. Got carpet in hallway and 3 bedrooms, and I hate it more every day. But, you know it's like the cobblers kids without shoes......the carpenter's house is the last to get hardwood. Yeah, 1x8' on the diagonal, and 3/4 subflooring on top of that, I guess when they installed the carpet back when.

Old 03-19-11, 05:42 PM
No expert by any stretch, but I have both ways in the house. Why the house builders (1952) didn't carry one direction on the whole first floor is beyond me. Where the oak runs with the joists I have noise, where as the other end of the house is tight and quite. As far as looks, the ones running parallel in the hall looks the best.

Old 03-20-11, 03:26 AM
Thanks, Wayne, it appears the consensus is the conventional installation across joisting. I was looking for a change of direction on purpose. It is easier to correct wall aberrations by changing direction of the flooring than it is to algebraically continue your error factor, and I figure by the time I get down the hallway to the bedrooms, I could have an uncorrectable rate of error.