Laminate Flooring

Old 03-15-11, 09:20 AM
Laminate Flooring

I ordered some laminate flooring for my kitchen, living room and a storage area from a company on line. I was told by the sales rep that I could store the material in the garage even though I live in Wisconsin and the temp. is below 50 degrees. We brought the flooring in to be aclimated to the environment 4 days prior to installation and when ready to install found that a lot but not all of the flooring is warped / cupped. The company says it is my fault for storing it in an uncontrolled environment for 6 weeks. It seems to me if this were the case then all of it would be ruined, not just some of it. They have offered to bring out a third party to inspect it and decide if it is my fault or a defect in the product. It would cost me $250.00 and reimbersed if the product is found defective. Do you think I should invest in $250.00 to find out for sure, or does this sound like a probable reason for the floor to be bowed on the end of the plank? You can't tell that they are warped until you put it eye level and look length wise down the plank.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-11, 05:31 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! Of course the sales rep has no name and it wasn't in writing, so your rope is too short to hold anything. The company is right, storing the laminate in a non controlled environment is detrimental to the composition of the flooring. It is mostly MDF anyway. It isn't so much the temperature as it was the humidity difference. You stored it in a very dry garage and brought it into a 70% humidity house. It had no way to go but warp.
As far as advising about the $250, it depends on how much of the flooring was damaged and it's value, versus the gamble factor. I don't think it will turn out well.