Engineered Wood Floor Separating

Old 03-29-11, 06:42 PM
Engineered Wood Floor Separating

Hi there, new guy.

We just installed a floating engineered wood by harriswood flooring about 3 weeks ago. floors were designed for glue/float/nail. about 1000Sqft over concrete slab with quiet walk underlayment (dining, living, hallway, entry, and master bed). we chose floating vs glue for ease of installation and in case there are any mishaps i can pull some planks up a little easier. we let it aclimate for about a week at normal room temps. 2250 sqft house was built 2007 and slab is pretty flat with only minimal variation in a few places. HE2162 walnut slate for those who are interested. the floors are beautiful for sure, however......

It seems some of the planks are coming loose and showing some separation in certain places. while it is a tounge and groove, it doesnt seem to have much of a locking feature to it like a previous laminate flooring i have done which had a definite "lock" to it. we have not put down base boards yet as i did want to see how the floor acted. i have continually put things back in place but gaps are still appearing and not really in the same place every time. these are not large gaps at all, i would say couple 16ths of inch or so at most. also i would not say there is any pattern to the separation as in mid floor, by walls, or anything, its pretty random.

im not sure how to solve this problem! i thought i could watch a few more weeks and drop a few drops of super glue into tounge and groove of any planks that separate and then beat back into place, but i expect making one area stronger will only allow weaker spots to begin to open particularly with houston summer to come. i also had someone suggest putting concrete nails in around the perimeter to close the gaps as the floors expand but this seems counter intuitive to me for sure! as a last resort........i suppose i can pull it all and glue down, but im not looking forward to that as u may guess.

any help would be appreciated...thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-11, 11:15 PM
Welcome to the forums. I am puzzled why you apparently haven't contacted the manufacturer. Might save you a lot of hair pulling. Just sayin'

Old 03-30-11, 01:54 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! Stop the application of super glue!! It will void the warranty and cause more problems down the road. As tldoug said, contact the manufacturer to see if they have had problems like this in the past. In the meantime if you have any pieces left over, take a picture of the end of a plank, and a few pictures of the separations you are experiencing (not close ups, we know what a crack looks like), and post them on this site http://forum.doityourself.com/electr...your-post.html
That way we can see what you see.
I didn't see where the product listed click lock as an installation option. Only float, glue, nail or staple. That is why I want to see the edge of the wood.

Old 03-30-11, 07:55 PM
T&G has to be glued "together" in order to "float" it. otherwise it will "float" apart.

Old 03-31-11, 06:13 AM
Super Moderator
I think condo-owner has the answer.

perfuseme....did you glue the individual boards together? See page 2 here....http://www.harriswoodfloors.com/_pdf...n_guide_11.pdf