Hardwood Reducer

Old 04-05-11, 07:26 PM
Hardwood Reducer

I am looking for some general info on a reducer.

I need to install one between my kitchen (ceramic tile) and the dining room (hardwood floor). The tile floor sits ~0.5 inches higher than the hardwood.

Is there a certain type of reducer to use here? All I seem to see at the hardware store is moulding, and I'm not sure if it can be used for this purpose. Or, I see transitions that appear to be for carpet only.

I am close to just putting down a strip of quarter round but I'm sure I'm missing lots of info. Thanks in advance.

Joe

Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-11, 08:10 PM
Walk to the back of any Home Depot or Lowes in the flooring dept. Your looking for a hard wood reducer. A much better way then a piece of 1/4 round. It will be about 1-1/2" wide and have a nice smooth taper to it.

Old 04-08-11, 07:14 PM
Thank you. I purchased one tonight.

Another question...the reducer is not quite thick enough to sit flat on the hardwood floor (the tile sits high). Should I glue it as level as possible and color-match caulk to use underneath the reducer?

Or is there a better way? At least the quarter round has thickness to it.

Old 04-09-11, 06:35 AM
I just completed what sounds like an identical project. All you need to do is glue the T portion to the gap between the tile and the wood floor and let the top of the T follow the change in height. I'm on my way out the door but will follow with a picture if you want one. Also, my web site is in redesign right now, so it will be a few days before pictures will be there. One point that worked in my favor is that our home is a log cabin, so attractive functional wins out over pretty in most instances. Nonetheless, the Boss can be awfully picky about such matters and this approach met with instant approval.

Old 04-09-11, 12:16 PM
It occurs to me that the threshold transition I puchased at Lowe's may be different from what you got. Mine was a kit consisting of a metal U-channel, a T cross section cover strip, and a couple of other pieces for closing the gap between the floor and the T if I wanted to have the top of the T to be level. Out of all that, the only thing I used was the T-section piece.

Old 04-10-11, 06:09 AM
Thanks for the reply. Your's definitely looks nice. How much higher was your tile sitting over the hardwood?

Our tile is black/white, so I'm considering using a metal transition.

Old 04-10-11, 12:24 PM
About 1/4", I guess. The 1/4" backer board was laid with thinset then screwed down. Then thinset and tile. That gives 1/4 + 1/4+ ~1/16 for 2 layers of thinset or about 9/16 compared to 3/8 for the wood floor. What I was after was an inclined transition that would cover both edges because both are a bit rough I didn't find a reducer that would do that.