heart pine refinish

Old 05-01-11, 07:35 AM
heart pine refinish

I'm a homeowner about to start refinishing a heart pine subfloor which i'm using as a finished floor in 4 apartments.

I've sanded and repaired the flooring gaps and am ready for finishing.

I'm planning to start with universal sealer (shellac) by profinish, followed by either 2 layers of minwax high build satin poly or 3 coats of another poly.

I'd love to do something that better preserved the beauty of these floors but my main concern is adding durability, binding any planks that tend to splinter and filling small holes, gaps. A seal coat plus oil based poly seams like the way to go...???

Any feedback or advice, much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-11, 10:24 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I built a log home back in the 80's that had 2x8 T&G railroad boxcar flooring for a floor. It was also pure heart pine. I had it sanded professionally and finished with several coats of basketball court quality polyurethane. It was tough stuff. Marksr will be along shortly with his views, so listen up. It will be right on target.
The final inspector said if my house ever caught fire, the smoke would be seen for 3 states.

Old 05-01-11, 10:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You might want to make sure the seal coat product is compatible with the poly, most are but not all.

Other than that it sounds like a good plan. Minwax is ok and easy to find but you might be able to get some urathanes that will wear longer. Check some of the local stores that deal mostly in hardwood - they'll either carry some floor finishes or know who does. Most oil base finishes will last longer than their water based counterpart, they also deepen the colors naturally in the wood - a feature I like