Removing subfloor layer

Old 05-18-11, 08:37 AM
Removing subfloor layer

My hubby and I just bought our first home and we are removing all of the flooring through the house (trust me there was no other way around it). The problem the we have run across though is that to keep the linoleum and the carpet at the same height the builders added an additional layer of subfloor in the kitchen (and only in the kitchen where the linoleum is). What we would like to do is either do ahrd wood or laminate through out the first floor but to keep it level will need to remove that additional 1/2 inch layer of plywood subfloor.

Any advise as to how to go about this?

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-11, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator
Yes, eat your Wheaties, lift some weights, and use a hammer, a chisel, and lots of muscle to pull it up. Not kidding! We're re-doing our kitchen right now and just went through the same thing. No other way except to pay some outside help to do it for you.

BTW, welcome to the forum!

Old 05-18-11, 12:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It might not be as bad as you think unless they also used adhesive to hold the additional plywood down. The hardest part is getting it started, besides a chisel and hammer you'll want some pry bars. The longer they are the more leverage you can get.