Marble threshold transition between laminate and stone?

Old 05-28-11, 05:59 PM
Marble threshold transition between laminate and stone?

Recently installed Armstrong 12mm laminate in living room. The foyer beside it is stone, and sits ~1/4" lower than the laminate. Elsewhere in the house, there are very nice marble slabs for transitions/thresholds.
Likewise, the other side of the new floor meets the kitchen (at a pocket door), which is ceramic tile. there, the tile is ~1/8" higher than the laminate.
Is there a "proper" way to use a marble threshold with laminate? W/ the stone, I'm thinking I'd have to putdown a small layer of thinset, then adhere the threshold to the stone so it overlaps the laminate and kind of pinches it in place. However, since the laminate has a *slight* give to it (used 1/4" cork underlayment) I'm a little worried about the marble cracking from flex/lack of support.
What makes that one even more fun is that the stone tiles are not all exactly level at that edge.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-11, 03:18 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If you use the marble threshold, it won't sit on the laminate. You will cut your laminate squarely across the opening, lay the marble on a solid substrate with adhesive/thinset, then butt your stone to it as well. You didn't give overall heights of your flooring, so we don't have much to go on. Now if all is laid, you don't have the option of putting down a marble threshold. You'll have to match your wood and buy or make one to fit.