to finish or not to finish?

Old 06-07-11, 02:18 AM
to finish or not to finish?

I have a 1950's ranch with hardwood flooring throughout. The house is slated to be a rental house in a couple months and I am unsure what to do with the floors. Should I finish with polyurethane... lot's of work to get damaged by renters? Just wax? Do nothing? The floors currently have no or perhaps little finish. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-11, 03:30 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! Renters should have a nice place, too. I would refinish the floors and give them that. Damages can be dealt with when they vacate. You may attract more and better renters with the floors finished as well.

Old 06-07-11, 03:33 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums!

If the floors are unfinished or have a poor finish it might be harder to rent out the house. I'd sand the floors down and apply 3 coats of a satin oil base poly or urethane. That will make the floors look nice and the satin is less likely to show wear than a shinier finish.

I don't know how well wax would work over unfinished wood but it would complicate any later attempts to apply a finish.

Old 06-07-11, 05:28 AM
Group Moderator
Finish the floors - if this wood is raw, you're going to get stains on it you cannot get out

Old 06-07-11, 06:30 PM
what those guys said.

but "I" would not aim for a finish that one would want in their own home = perfect.
just make it look nice, durable, and leave it at that.