Oak flooring over concrete??

Old 06-12-11, 07:59 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Oak flooring over concrete??

I am thinking about installing an oak floor over concrete. The floor is above grade but moisture is present. What is the best approach to use? Obviously a vapor barrier is required. I have enough room for a sub floor if that is the best way to go?? If I use a 3/4" subfloor do I glue the oak down or nail? should I use rigid foam underneath? I've watched too many HGTV shows and am totally confused as to the best approach. I prefer solid oak over engineered. Thanks

Old 06-13-11, 03:22 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
You're in a Catch 22 situation. With moisture present, you will want a vapor barrier. If you install any type of subflooring, how will you fasten it to the concrete? Will you penetrate the vapor barrier with your fasteners? If so, you don't have a vapor barrier any more, you have a sieve. 3/4" hardwood floor will require nailing for a really nice solid floor, but you can't nail it to 3/4" plywood only, as the nails will penetrate too far and into the concrete/vapor barrier, making more holes.
See where I'm going?
I've not done it in our locale, but if you have room, 2" of rigid foam, plywood, then flooring would be a solution, but now a new problem....what will you do with your doors with the added height in flooring? You still have moisture, so until the moisture is eliminated, I wouldn't install a wood floor.
Others will have different answers, so hang in there.

Old 06-13-11, 10:04 AM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I totally hear you. What I was thinking was to put down a vapor barrier and then 3/4" tongue and groove plywood on a floating basis. With that down, glue the 3/4" oak strips. Will that work?

Old 06-13-11, 12:22 PM
E
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
1 inch sealed rigid foam would probably be enough to provide a thermal break and moisture barrier, but you can also consider dimple mat products like the Delta FL which allow for air flow between subfloors and concrete pads which might be better in your case because of the none moisture issues. Even with these products you could still end up with problems when using solid hardwood flooring. Engineered flooring, or even better, floating laminate maybe a better choice because of their dimensional stability. As much as the solid floor provides a high quality look, consider the financial risk verses a possible short term visual reward. Moisture and wood are not particularly friends, especially in basement applications. If you use rigid foam, or the Delta FL production you will need to secure the subfloor with alot of fasteners such as tapcons.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: