Subfloor preparation for Hardwood

Old 06-15-11, 08:03 AM
Subfloor preparation for Hardwood

Hello,

I decided to put prefinished hardwood by myself but need experts advice regarding subfloor preparation. Hardwood is red oak and room is main floor, plywood subfloor. I want to screw existing subfloor to prevent squeaks and cracks. What screws should I use and what size? Also, should I put any underlayment? Some recommend to put wax-paper between subfloor and hardwood, what is your recommendation?

Thanks
Damir

Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-11, 11:10 AM
Deck screws work well and usually won't break, but also depending on the age of your house the subfloor may also already be glued down during construction. Are you now experiencing squeaks. Using the pink underlayment also can reduce floor squeak potential, and it also can help allow for easy sliding of the planks during installation. Make sure you also nail it all down every 8 inches along the tongues.

Old 06-15-11, 02:18 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
What equinox said. If you do use 15# felt, which is fine, don't overlap the joints. Butt them together, as that little rise will cause fitment problems. A trip I've already made early on, so no need for you to experience it.

Old 06-16-11, 07:43 AM
House is 13y old. I have some squeaks but more cracks. Someone suggested to put additional plywood subfloor to strengthen original one. Problem is this will make floor "stand-out" from the rest of the house. Should I do it anyway?

Thanks

Old 06-16-11, 08:26 AM
Your house is quite new and I am surprised that the builder did not glue down the subfloor during construction, but perhaps he also has done that. If there are currently however loose, or noisy areas then I would follow your original plan to add some additional screws into the joists and see how that works out. There is no reason to add additional sheathing unless you want to spend more money for really no benefit, other than what you said about making the area stand out and maybe become a trip hazzard, and also potentially adding squeaks you don't want.

Old 06-16-11, 01:24 PM
Group Moderator
I've done this with plain drywall screws but a deck screw will be more durable