Creaking Laminate

Old 06-15-11, 02:59 PM
J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Creaking Laminate

I just had new laminate wood flooring installed and it is great, but there are a few areas that squeek or creak when you step on the area. This is especially true for the transition strips between either the floor and carpet, or the edge strip on the first step of the stairs. Is there any way to cure these noises?

Old 06-15-11, 03:14 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Sounds as if the installer didn't leave space under the transitions, allowing the wood to rub. Try sprinkling some talcum powder in the area, sweep it around a little, then vacuum it up. What you don't get up will be lubricant for the areas where the wood parts are rubbing. Let us know if it works, or we need to shift gears.

Old 07-01-11, 03:00 PM
J
As far as the squeeks and creaks go they can be easily fixed after you take an inside look. The transition strips or floor moulding should be able to be pulled up since it should be installed in a press-in metal track piece.

Pull up the transition piece and see if the slats are pushing on this piece, if they are, you can pull up the piece of laminate, or if you trust yourself with a rotary saw then you can trim off a bit to stop the rubbing.

We installed some sound dampening material and it makes for a pleasant experience.

Good Luck!

Jason

Old 07-01-11, 06:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Most of the cardboard or mdf transition pieces will not come up out of the metal keeper without destroying themselves. Gotta buy new ones. I doubt you can pull up one piece of laminate, especially if the laminate terminates at a 90 degree angle to the transition. True, a multimaster will make easy work of trimming too tight laminate from the area.

Old 07-03-11, 12:51 PM
J
Thank you for your comments and suggestions. It sounds like the installer took quite a few short cuts with this project. One of the transition pieces was very loose and I was able to remove it. There was some glue that looked like liquid nails on it, but not much. There was no metal track. I cleaned all of the old glue off and replaced it with new glue and it is now working fine. All of the transition pieces were apparently installed this way as they are all somewhat loose, but not enough for me to just pry them out. I was not able to get enough powder under the transition piece at the top of the stairs to make it stop squeaking. I think it might work if I could get it to the end of the laminate floor. The stair edge pieces are nailed down, so it will be difficult to remove them. I guess we will just have to live with the squeaks at these transition pieces. Thanks again for your suggestions.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: