No more Gymseal? What do I use to refinish now?

Old 06-21-11, 01:25 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
No more Gymseal? What do I use to refinish now?

When we bought our house about 12 years ago I took the floors down to bare wood and sealed, stained and finished them with Gym Seal. The main selling point for me was the idea that I could sand it a bit and refinish as needed, as opposed the a lot of other product that would require sanding back down to bare wood if they ever needed a redo.

We got a lot of use out of the floor (with some judicious use of runners and doormats) but it needs some help now. So I go to my big box store and find that Gym Seal is no longer being made! What is a good replacement now? (And please don't say that I've got to strip it down completely and start over...)

A few facts:
The floor is about 110 year-old pine (we think from the southern US, old-growth). 12 ft lengths.
We used 4 coats of gloss Gym Seal.
Always mopped with soapy water - no waxing.

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-11, 02:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 118 Votes on 105 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I'm not familar with GymSeal but most any type of poly that is of the same base [oil base, waterbased, etc] should be ok to freshen up the floor. As long as the stain hasn't worn away - a scuff sanding and a fresh coat of compatible finish should do fine.

Old 06-21-11, 05:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Excerpted from another site

Flecto-Varithane now a part of RustOleum, makes several products that are equal to or better than the gym seal floor finish from McCloskey.

The gym-seal was discontinued because it contained to many VOC's. (volatile organic compounds)

The McCloskey replacement is called Man O'War Spar Marine Varnish. Its intended use is for just about anything outside mainly boats but it is good for everything else.

Old 06-22-11, 04:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 118 Votes on 105 Posts
I wouldn't use an exterior poly on the floor. Exterior coatings are formulated different so they can weather better, mainly this means they have a softer more flexible finish. Interior coatings are made to have a harder finish so they can better withstand wear.

An exterior poly should adhere fine to the floor but it won't wear as well. It sounds like the GymSeal was an oil base poly, if so, then most any oil base poly that is rated for floor use should be fine.

Old 06-22-11, 06:36 AM
Group Moderator
Received 46 Votes on 43 Posts
Oil based poly is what I'd use on my floors if I had hardwood

Old 11-28-11, 06:36 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gym Seal was great.

I just hope the replacement for Gym Seal is as good. It's hard to imagine anything better than the original. We used it in 1987 on apitong T&G floors in our new house. It took several coats (7 as I remember) until it was all soaked in. It wore well for 20 years, only needing a touch-up. Wet boots all winter and it just beaded up (no stains). It didn't stand up as well to two years of rental: The tenants had cats but apparently couldn't afford kitty litter. :-(
I'll post when I find a replacement and let you know how it covers.