Where to start laying flooring?

Old 06-23-11, 07:28 AM
Where to start laying flooring?

We're getting ready to install laminate flooring in our Dining, Kitchen & Hallway and are having a discussion on where to start laying the boards. I'm not able to attach a rough drawing so I'll try to paint the picture with words.

The dining room is on the south with the kitchen next to it on the north. The hallway runs north where the kitchen & dining room meet (T shaped). My thought was to start at wall farthest from the kitchen, working towards the kitchen (stopping before going into the kitchen saving it to last), then down the hall, then into the kitchen (which will be last because we have to remove the old flooring).

The wife thinks we should start in the hallway then out and down into the dining room working towards the wall farthest from the kitchen, then into the kitchen. I can see validity into her thought since that might be easier to make sure the longest run of flooring is straight.

Any thoughts or suggestions.

Bill

Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-11, 05:27 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! You won't be able to piece meal he installation. You need to pick a starting place and move forward, only. Laminate doesn't have the luxury of being reversed like 3/4" hardwood with reversing splines. Will all your laminate run in the same direction?

Old 06-23-11, 06:10 PM
Yes it will all run the same direction. SWMBO wants it to run lengthwise down the hall (north & south).

Old 06-24-11, 04:03 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Lengthwise will not look as choppy as running it across it, so it may be a good idea. Now, if this causes a problem, what I would do is change directions from the hallway to the other rooms. It will add dimension to the flooring and will only require a transition strip across the end of the hallway. May make the laying of the other rooms less cumbersome. Looking from the dining room down the hallway with a continuous run may make it look narrow, so look into changing directions.
And face it, if you don't run it down the hallway, as "suggested", you'll have to live with it and the comments like "I told you to run it long" for a very long time. Certain niceties in war.

Old 06-24-11, 09:13 AM
I agree, lengthwise down the hallway will look best, although I wouldn't start in the hallway. If I understand your post, you have the dining room and kitchen on opposite ends of a hallway. I would start in one of the bigger rooms and work my way through the hallway as I go. You can find something relatively square to measure off of and pop a chalk line through the hallway and into both rooms to follow to keep things straight. I'm not a big fan of changing directions. It makes the floor look pieced together.

Old 06-24-11, 03:24 PM
Thanks. The dining and kitchen are next to each other with the hall coming off where they join (like a T). The wife would not want the flooring to change directions. I like the idea of the chalk line to keep it square.