reusing glue down wood flooring

Old 06-30-11, 12:24 AM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
reusing glue down wood flooring

I have parquet wood flooring that was installed in the 1950's. It is solid wood, so I would like to reuse it if possible. It is glued onto a cement slab with this black tarlike glue. I need to relay the floor to repair some damaged areas. I was able to get some tiles from a neighbor that removed his floor, so I should have enough for the room. Do I need to remove the old glue from the back of the tiles before I relay them? If so, what would be the best way to do this?

Old 06-30-11, 04:42 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Yes, you should remove the glue from the back for the tiles to lay flat as what you have installed. If you can find a good carpenter with a shop, or go to a tech school with a wood shop, have them run the tiles through a surface planer upside down about 1/32 of an inch or until the glue is just gone. Makes for quick work.

Old 06-30-11, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Larry....won't that really gum up the planer blades?

Old 06-30-11, 01:47 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Yeah, but they aren't your planer blades I have done it before, and you do have to raise the cover and spray them with brake cleaning fluid or MEK and wipe them down, but it doesn't really hurt the blade unless you hit a nail or staple.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: