Help! My maple floor is orange....

Old 07-03-11, 12:05 PM
Help! My maple floor is orange....

I just had 3 1/4" clear maple solid hardwood installed by a relative. He did a nice job laying it, and finished it while we were on vacation. We came home to an orange floor. We used Minwax Gunstock, and I'm thinking he wasn't experienced enough or didn't stir it enough, or didn't put it on even a full coat. I stained some threshold pieces from the same can and the colors don't even match - even though the pieces I did came from the same wood pieces.

I guess I'm going to have to get someone experienced to come in and refinish it to get closer to the desired color. My question - am I looking at a total sand down start from scratch or can the poly just be sanded and the stain darkened?

I know maple is more difficult to stain - the blotches don't bother me -its the orange floor !! Thanks for any advise.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-11, 01:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
As you know, maple can be difficult to stain. I doubt the issue was from lack of a full coat but not having stirred/mixed the stain well would leave the majority of the pigments in the bottom of the can and will affect the stain's color.

The only way to change the stain color would be to resand the floor. I doubt you could just sand off the poly. Besides any remaining stain can affect how the wood takes the next coat of stain.

Old 07-03-11, 03:21 PM
Thanks for your thoughts. My hunch is that he didnt sand the floor before he stained it. Even though maple is fairly dense, I think sanding it raises the grain to accept stain better. The transitions I stained were sanded by the wood shop that cut them, and sanded them well. Does that sound like a possible reason?

Old 07-04-11, 03:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Depending on the wood and how the sanding was done - it will affect the absorption of the stain. Coarse sanding can open the grain allowing the wood to accept more stain, fine sanding can close up the grain some. Not a big difference but it does affect the color some. I suspect the color difference was more from application technique or failure to mix the solids off of the bottom of the can.

I can't imagine an unfinished floor being installed and not sanded first

Old 07-04-11, 10:46 PM
The proper way to attempt to stain maple (I say attempt because it's very difficult) is to seal it prior to staining in order to achieve a more even finish. This is because maple has areas of differing density and the densest parts can be so dense that the pigment solids can't penetrate. If your guy used shellac to pre-seal, (this is a common method) it may be the reason the wood took on an orange hue. Shellac will tend to do this. Sanding, or lack thereof, will not affect the color, only the consistency of the finish. You will have to sand down the floor to change the color. Before you restain, which, by the way, I don't recommend, you should experiment on scrap pieces to see which combination of sealer and stain results in the color you are looking for.