Can I use the existing carpet transition when installing laminate flooring?

Old 07-09-11, 08:16 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can I use the existing carpet transition when installing laminate flooring?

I am going to install laminate flooring over linoleum. I currently have an aluminum transition (not sure what its called. It has tacks and wraps over the top of the carpet.) Is there any way to keep this intact when installing the laminate? If so, what is the best way to do this?

Old 07-09-11, 09:46 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If it was me I would replace it with a new one that matched the laminate product to avoid potential squeaks and noises, however I suppose you could try and pull back the folded edge and pull out the carpet, then carefully lift of the strip by prying under it to pull out the securing nails. You would then install the laminate past the edge of the transition and reinstall the strip over top of the laminate and then hammer down the folded edge over the carpet. Those kinds of transition strips you current have however are not really designed for floating floors and I would IMO still suggest spending the extra few dollars on obtaining one that is. It will allow movement with the floor and also likely match into the color and design better also.

Old 07-09-11, 10:39 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Be aware, that metal strip is keeping tension on your carpet to prevent wrinkles. Taking it out without plan b may loosen the carpet too much. Start your laminate lay about 1/2" from the strip to allow for movement. Then a normal transition strip can be installed to butt up against the metal strip.

Old 07-09-11, 09:33 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
Be aware, that metal strip is keeping tension on your carpet to prevent wrinkles. Taking it out without plan b may loosen the carpet too much. Start your laminate lay about 1/2" from the strip to allow for movement. Then a normal transition strip can be installed to butt up against the metal strip.
....and overlap the carpet... Carpet-T-Laminate - You could use a 'T' strip that comes with a 'channel' strip that attaches to the floor, then the 'T' strip sits/snaps into the channal..

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: