removing gummy decayed carpet pad from hardwood

Old 01-03-01, 03:00 PM
Visiting Guest
I recently removed very old carpet (25 plus years) from a floor and discovered beautiful hardwood floors underneath. I do not want to recarpet and the finish on the floor looks good. (probably varnish - I guess) The problem is: The carpet pad has decayed and left tar like spots all over the floor which are difficult to get off. I've tried Goo Gone and it does okay but is very slow. Can anyone recommend a solvent that will take this gunk off but not harm the finish of the floor? Your help would be very appreciated.

Old 01-03-01, 07:23 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

Try some WD-40.
Murphy's oil soap may do it to.

Old 01-07-01, 09:30 AM
Visiting Guest
Murphy's oil? Ugh!!!!! Never, never, never put that junk on your hardwood floor. As for using WD40, that's a new one on me. If you can get the pad residue off with a mild solvent and elbow grease, that's probably your best bet. You might try contacting Sheen Fischer of Specialty Cleaning Concepts for further cleaning info. He's at scc@adnc.com.

Scott Stephens
http://www.stephensfloor.com

Old 01-08-01, 06:34 AM
Visiting Guest
Scott,
What is wrong with murphys? what do you suggest for cleaning hard woods? I am kinda old school--I used McCloskys "Gym seal" to refinish my floors--I was talked out of the "new" polyurthanes by the old timers--and I decided against the "moisture cure" urthane after I researched it. But I am happy with the results--three weeks and six gallons later. I also heard you can wax/polish hardwoods? I have hand waxed furnature that I refinished with varnish and it smooths it out and dulls it alittle--really makes it nice--seems like it would take alot of work to do that to the floors--probably just as much as finishing them was!

Old 01-08-01, 07:28 PM
Visiting Guest
Murphy's Oil will give you a build up that dulls the finish and can be pretty tough to get off. Bona makes a cleaning kit that comes with a terry mop & cleaner. You can pick one up at most flooring retailers.

Scott Stephens
http://www.stephensflor.com

Old 01-09-01, 08:00 AM
Visiting Guest
Just a follow up for anyone with this same problem: I tried dish detergent and water, shaving cream, WD 40, Goo Gone and Goof off. The best by far was the Goof off which I got at Wal Mart. While I was hoping for something that would take the gunk off with a minimum of effort it was not to be. The Goof off will take it off with a lot of rubbing with a terry cloth towel. The process is slow but I'm getting there. Its just hard work. Thanks again.

Old 01-10-01, 08:44 AM
Visiting Guest
Oh yea, I forgot to tell ya all--be very careful with that high powered drain opener--you know the only stuff that really works--the acid type. I got a couple drops on my socks and it instantly put holes in them--got two drops on hardwood floors and immediately wiped with water--still left two stains right through the finish--did not hurt finish went right through--gloss is still there! That Gym seal is tough stuff

Old 01-20-01, 05:06 PM
hy
Visiting Guest
carpet adhesive

You can easily and safely remove the adhesive with PEEL AWAY 5. In addition PEEL AWAY 5 will not discolor your wood at all and could also be used for stripping it.

Old 01-23-01, 03:16 PM
Visiting Guest
I had used a product called Afta in an attempt to remove glue and padding from the hardwood floor. Didn't work all that great and ended up leaving some of the black gunk in the corners.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: