Lambswool or brush?

Old 07-18-11, 02:53 PM
B
BGC
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lambswool or brush?

I have applied 2 coats of DuraSeal on a properly prepped 30' x 30' floor using a brush. I have sanded, vacuumed and tacked between coats. Floor looks good and will apply 2 more coats.

I now am considering using a lambswool applicator for the final coats but, it seems to be a technique that is not easily mastered. And, I would think "lambswool" could add contaminates into the finish.

Apparently, with lambswool, you are supposed to pour a puddle of finish on the floor and "snow-plow" the finish to spread. How big of a puddle do you pour? Where on the floor do you pour - corner, middle? How far from the wall edge do you pour the puddle of finish? Push the finish or pull? With a 30' length, how wide of an area should be done to maintain a wet edge?

I believe a brush will allow more control and a predictable result.

Any suggestions?

Old 07-18-11, 03:07 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 698 Likes on 616 Posts
I rarely do floors and haven't used a lambswool pad in quite a few years but it would definitely be quicker than a brush, it would also keep your nose a bit further from the poly fumes

I never thought of a pad having any kind of learning curve. I always thought they were pretty easy to get used to. Basically you would pour out a small amount of poly on the floor and move it around paying attention to getting a fairly equal amount on the entire pad and distributing it evenly. You can fine tune your technique as you go.

There shouldn't be any more danger of contaminants with a pad than with a brush.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: