Pine Plank Acclimation and Temperature

Old 07-27-11, 11:07 AM
Pine Plank Acclimation and Temperature

I picked up 1200 pounds of pine plank (5 1/8 x 3/4) Saturday in "humiture" of above 110, and humped it up to the second floor.
Not sure I've ever sweated so much in my life.

So, I'm acclimating it, stickered with a box fan and dehumidifier.
The pine shows 6-8% on my old meter, which surprised me. The subfloor and other woodwork in my newly built (but weathered-in in January) garage/shop reads about 12%.
These readings surprised me as low given the wicked humidity we've had here in N. Virginia this summer.
The RH was above 50% when I set up the dehumidifier and closed the windows & skylight. Daytime temps have been in the 90s.
Running the dehumidifier has pumped the indoor temp over 100.
Seems to me this is a good thing, because the hot air can hold more water, and will help dry the subfloor, sheetrock, etc, even though it doesn't change the pine flooring too much.
But today the temps are in the 80s, and last I looked the outdoor RH was only 19%. RH in the future shop was in the 30s. So I opened up the space to let it cool and get the nice dry air in there.

Was that a good idea, or should I just let the temps stay high and the dehumidifier suck out the moisture?
I don't think there is a danger of getting the whole inside environment too dry, but I'm just not sure.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Jonas

Last edited by jrfiero; 07-27-11 at 12:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-11, 01:05 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums

Are you drying to dry out the flooring or acclimate it to the conditions of your house before installing it?

Old 07-27-11, 01:56 PM
Its more that I am trying to get the rest of the environment to the average yearly EMC, and acclimate the flooring to the environment. This is the worst (most humid) time of year to be doing this.
The flooring seems to be at the right MC; the subfloor and surrounding materials are a bit high.
I especially want the subfloor to equal the plank MC because I fear the pine will really move if one side is exposed to a different MC. I'll be using building paper (rosin?) below the plank. The ceiling below the subfloor is fire rated 5/8 gyp primed and painted.
The building has been open (windows and skylight) all summer. Closed up it's tight - built and insulated to 2006 code.

Old 07-27-11, 02:03 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I agree with Mitch, don't dry the flooring out too much or you will encounter cracks. You want to ACCLIMATE it to the rooms in which it will be installed. Whatever the RH and temperature these rooms are normally at is where the flooring should sit for 72 hours with A/C or heat running to circulate the conditioned air.