Levelling floor where wall was removed

Old 08-08-11, 08:01 AM
E
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Levelling floor where wall was removed

My husband and I have been in our house 22 years. We know it was renovated long before we bought it. There was wall-to-wall carpet in the living room and hall. I decided to pull up the carpet in the living room and found beautiful hardwood floors. But when I got to the hallway the hardwood floors were badly damaged and you can see where walls has been removed. I decided to put down self-stick vinyl tiles in the hallway. However the areas where the walls had been removed are not level with the rest of the floor. It's not a big difference but the tiles would definitely bend and eventually break.
What can I do to level those areas in order to put down the tiles?

Old 08-08-11, 09:56 AM
E
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Self Levelling Compound will take care of your low areas. It sets up fairly quickly and can be feathered to smooth out the overlapping edges. Depending on the tiles I am not sure how well they will stick to the SLC with the provided tile backing adhesive and in those areas you might need to assist with additional adhesive. While I have used SLC products for other finished floor surfaces I have never applied self sticking tile over it.

Old 08-08-11, 10:05 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I used SLC back at my last place for some damaged/low areas and used the adhesion promoter liquid...no problem. It's a thin white liquid (the adhesion stuff) and should be available right near where the self stick tile and sheet vinyl is sold. SLC will be right there also.

If its a really slight height difference...might want to use something like Henrys 549 Featheredge.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: