rotten spots in wood floor

Old 08-13-11, 06:02 PM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question rotten spots in wood floor

Hi-

The house I am living in now use to belong to my brother who did many renovations to it including installing beautiful pergo wood flooring. This was about 8 years ago. About 3 years ago we noticed a back spot appear out of no where and now several more spots are constantly appearing to keep the first one company. This is very upsetting considering how beautiful the floor looked when we first moved in. My brother told me he had a professional do the work- someone who specializes in wood floor installation. I wonder if this fellow put down the required barrier as this is over a concrete foundation.

I don't know how this happened and I know I need to find out. I've been trying to think what to do since I would like to sell the house in the near future. My solution I think would be to take up the flooring which is all over the downstairs- bedroom, study, living room, dining room and hallway. Then I'd throw out the rot affected boards and relay in only the living, dining and hallway. I would put carpet in the bedroom and study- the two rooms mostly unaffected by the rot problem.

How easy a job would this be for me to do myself and would it even be feasible? Do they glue down those boards? I am sadly somewhat poor and can not afford to get these floors replaced. I am fairly handy with do it yourself stuff. I have by myself installed 2 ceiling fans, replaced the garbage disposal and built a state of the art doghouse from scratch.

Old 08-14-11, 09:58 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Pull up the shoe molding in a short inconspicuous place and see if there is any underlayment. My guess is no. Laminate, even the best, and concrete do not play pretty. If you decide to remove the flooring, I would go with a good click lock 5/8" engineered flooring with the proper underlayment. Do a moisture check before you spend the money on the new flooring. Once the old floor is up and the concrete cleaned, place a piece of clear plastic over an area about 4'x4' and tape it down to the concrete. Leave it for a day or so to see if it fogs up with condensate. If it does, you would be ill advised in putting wood down there.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: