Removing and reusing Hardwood Floors

Old 01-05-01, 12:18 PM
Visiting Guest
Cool

In my dining room I have hardwood flooring. I am doing a remodel on my home and I would like to reuse the hardwood (Oak) in a different part of the house.

Can anyone offer suggestions on removing the hardwood without damaging it? I am particularly worried about how to remove the nails. Do they sometimes glue the wood down also? If so, any suggestions on dealing with the glue?

What special tools would make this job easier? The room is about 10x 20 so I could save a good chunk if I could reuse all the hardwood.

Thank you.

Old 01-19-01, 09:26 AM
Visiting Guest
rydad,

First of all, it will make life a lot easier if you remove your baseboards first. Then look around the walls that run the same direction as the flooring and find the line of edge boards that have been nailed down through the board itself (this might be easy or impossible, but try). Pry that row of boards up. Most likely the wood floor is not glued down. The only answer I have beyond that is to use some type of pry-bar designed for sensitive demolition, for example a "wonder bar". THis is well known in the trade, so you can find one, or at least one like it. These bars have ends that can be slipped inder the board and still give you some leverage to force them loose. move slowly down the board, prying a little at a time until the nails pull through. They will be nailed through the "tongue" of the board, so be a little careful not to pry too hard or you can seriously damage the tongue. Just be careful, you WILL loose a few boards no matter what, just play the odds and save as many as possible.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: