Cause of "dimpling" in engineered flooring installation?

Old 09-11-11, 06:55 AM
J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cause of "dimpling" in engineered flooring installation?

Hi all,

I'm preparing to nail down a Mannington engineered hardwood floor over plywood subfloor. I can't afford the $500 for their recommended "Floor Monster" nailer. I've ordered a Bynford stapler from Amazon and 1/4" x 1" staples. The Bynford stapler gets good reviews - but it's not for a flooring professional.

I've been reading about a problem of dimpling in some installations and, in fact, the installation instructions that came with the flooring mention possible dimpling if not using their Floor Monster nailer.

So, how can I best avoid this dimpling problem? Can it be affected by the type of underlayment? By the type of staples?

Should I reconsider the floating installation?

Thanks very much,
Jim Greetham

Old 09-15-11, 09:42 AM
J
Just to reply to myself,

I have gotten my new stapler and have fastened-down 6-8 planks last night before it got too late. It seems to work just great. It sinks the staples just right & no apparent dimples. I have the compressor set at 90 psi.

I'm a happy boy!

Jim

Old 09-15-11, 10:35 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,177 Likes on 1,135 Posts
90 psi is where I typically set the compressor for using nail guns but I'm not confident you're sinking a heavy enough staple to do the job.

Old 09-15-11, 03:03 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I agree, 1" is way too short. How thick is your engineered flooring, 5/8"? I have never nailed nor stapled engineered flooring, only hardwood, and have to change the foot of my flooring stapler to accommodate the 5/8" hardwood. If your stapler came with 2 feet, make sure you are using the right one, and use longer staples.

Old 09-16-11, 09:05 AM
J
I chose the 1" staples because the flooring is just 3/8". At least the spec says 3/8" although it measures more like 5/16" - probably 9mm. I'm going into the 3/4" plywood subfloor & my thought was that if the staple goes all the way thru the subfloor then it's longer than necessary - I'm so cheap I try to save anywhere I can. If you really think I should be using 1 1/2" then I'll order some. I'm starting in the dining room which is not a high traffic area.

Thanks!
Jim

<edit>
Oops - I just did a quick calculation to find that if the staple goes in at 45 deg, a 1 1/2" length would just poke thru underneath. So that length would be the best.

Last edited by jgreetham; 09-16-11 at 10:12 AM.
Old 09-16-11, 04:19 PM
Do you actually have "engineered" flooring or laminate? Just curious.

Old 09-19-11, 08:17 AM
J
Old 09-19-11, 03:14 PM
Cool. It is 3/8" and should do fine with 1 1/2" staples or nails ( prefer staples). I was afraid the way the post was going that you were stapling down laminate, and that could be done with 1" staples since it is sometimes only 7mm thick. It would be a PITA to do it, so glad you got it going.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: