Can I reuse Bruce Hardwood flooring?

Old 10-02-11, 02:13 PM
Question Can I reuse Bruce Hardwood flooring?

Here's the situation...

I have Bruce Hardwood in several rooms in my house, including my kitchen where I simply don't like it. Between some sun fading by the sliding glass doors and gunk getting in the grooves in the cooking area, it just hasn't worked out well. Still, there are large areas where it still looks good with a nice finish.

My hall to the bedrooms is carpeted right now, but I'd like to extend the Bruce hardwood from foyer to go down the hall. Would it be possible to reuse the flooring from the kitchen to do the hall when I replace it?

Thanks much.

Jane

Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-11, 05:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Jane, I doubt you could get the hardwood up in usable pieces if it was installed properly. Too many nails/staples, and in order to get it up, you will pull the nails and staples through the tongue, negating the tongue and groove seam. Sure would make nice fire starter

Old 10-03-11, 09:39 AM
Bummer! Thanks for the response.

Old 10-09-11, 07:38 PM
Jane, are talking about replacing your wood floor in the kitchen with another type of flooring or with new wood?

Old 10-14-11, 11:14 AM
Well, no one has asked if it is glued down over concrete, or if it is fastened down over wood. Solid, or cross-ply engineered?

If it is fasten down with staples or cleats, then it can be pulled up and reused in the hallway.

Old 10-15-11, 04:32 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
CDW, since the OP stated it was Bruce hardwood, and not Bruce Engineered hardwood, I did make an assumption it was nailed/stapled down. No contradiction to post #2 further confirmed that.
BUT, to the learning process.....I have removed many sf of hardwood stapled down, and at best all I could get was kindling. How do you remove it to maintain the tongue and groove, since it is so fragile to begin with? I am all for recycling when possible. And was it worth the labor to do so, versus installing new flooring?