Can I touch up a painted cement floor?

Old 10-04-11, 01:18 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can I touch up a painted cement floor?

Well, I do not know where to post this, but my cement floor in my basement in areas has paint chipping.

I was wondering if I could just touch up those areas with new paint and this will prevent future chipping? Once the paint starts to chip, it grows bigger more easily. It has happened in high traffic areas in my basement.

One thing I would like to avoid is scraping up all of the old paint before painting.

I was hoping it would be as easy as paint new primer down over the old paint and spots of bare cement, and then paint over them with new paint.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-11, 03:06 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 260 Votes on 230 Posts
Painted floors don't lend them selves to touch up although you could paint just the chip and it won't look too bad. For repainting you'll want to scrape off any loose paint and prime any bare spots. You shouldn't need to prime the entire floor if you recoat with the same type of paint.

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/pa...latex-oil.html

Old 10-04-11, 03:27 PM
M
What do you mean they do not lend themselves to touch up?

Thank you for this info. Is that link you included for latex or oil because that si the important thing to know for this project?

Old 10-04-11, 03:51 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 260 Votes on 230 Posts
Yes, latex paint isn't apt to adhere well to an oil base enamel. If it has oil base on the floor now, you should stick with oil enamel.

If you were to touch up the floor with a brush or roller - it will show! If you carefully paint just the chip, it might show but won't look near as bad as a brush full or two of paint just slapped over that area. It is difficult to touch up any paint in the middle of the wall, the shinier the paint is - the more difficult it becomes. Unless there is furniture or throw rugs hiding the touch up, it will show

Old 10-04-11, 04:18 PM
M
This is on our floor, and it doesn't need to look nice, just be practical.