glossy marks on new laminate floor

Old 10-04-11, 09:24 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
glossy marks on new laminate floor

I recently bought a popular resilient laminate floor with a hardwood finish to it for my bathroom. It is made for possibly wet areas and provides waterproofing.

I installed it as per the directions and it went down very easily. However at times I had to give the flooring a few kicks with my running shoes to tighten up the joints. This flooring has a 15 minute window during which the glue joint is open for movement.

Unfortunately I was doing this work in the evening. The next day when the sun shines in the window at the far end of the room I see glossy areas on the flooring surface. These spots stick out like a sore thumb! These spots coincide with areas where I may have kicked the joints together. I am able to replicate the marks on a test pience of laminate.

I have tried everything I can think of to remove what appears to be a gloss left by rubber residue form my running shoes. I have tried water and soap, gas, turpentine, wd40, googone, liquid household cleaners, a rubber ball, baking soda and warm water. Does anyone know a product that will remove the rubber gloss without harming the floor?

Old 10-04-11, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator
Received 391 Upvotes on 319 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum!
Mr. Clean Magic Eraser works well on laminate floors. However, test it on one of your spare pieces first.

Old 10-04-11, 12:53 PM
D
I have already tried the magic eraser. Nothing seems to take it off so far.

Old 10-05-11, 11:10 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
I've seen a tennis ball used to removed scuff marks from floors but I don't know whether that would would for you.

Old 10-05-11, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
No expert...but what I would guess is that you have basically burnished or polished those areas that are glossy. Like taking super fine steel wool to the worn finish of a stained DR table.

You probably won't be able to remove it. You can wait till everything gets scuffed or try to blend it in a bit with the tennis ball. Not on the shiny areas...but around them.

Try it on a sample first.

Old 10-06-11, 12:45 PM
D
i will give it a try. Thanks for the info

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: