Laminate transition strips, front door threshold, and step moulding

Old 10-06-11, 03:48 PM
Laminate transition strips, front door threshold, and step moulding

Hello,

I have three questions - hope you can help!

I installed a floating laminate floor in my whole house, but am now at the point where I need to install the transition strip and stair moulding. How do you do it?

I have moisture barrier and padding installed - how does the transition strip stay? I have transitions in two places (doorways). Do I glue it?

The quarter-round trim for my fireplace - is that glued?

On the step, the flooring below the step is tile, so the laminate stair trim is about 6 feet long (the step takes you from the living room to the dining room). How do I install it so that it will stay with the moisture and padding there?

My front door threshold was installed over some tile in the entry, which I removed (and bent while removing). Now there is just laminate up to the point where it ends right under the front door when closed. How would I install a threshold there? Would I need to just screw it in over the laminate, or would I need to cut back the laminate so the threshold can fit right up to the edge?

Thank you for any advice! This has been a tough installation, probably should have hired a pro. My house is a 1955 cinderblock home with METAL door frames in all the rooms and hallways. I cut the laminate to fit around some door frames, then just decided to undercut the rest of the door frames. The carpet when I bought it was so deplorable, that I figured a bad install by me was worth getting rid of the filthy carpet. Now I want to try to make the best of it.

Lindsey

Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-11, 03:41 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! You have already installed the flooring and now want to install the transitions? Are these transitions to other rooms with other flooring? What type flooring and what is the height difference? Did you leave a 1/2" gap between the flooring units? Is this on a concrete floor or wood? If a wood subfloor, screw acceptor strips to the wood and press the transitions in place. If on concrete, cut out the moisture barrier and glue the transitions in using a product like PL Advanced and lay bricks or something heavy along the length of the transition.
You mean you have no front door threshold? What keeps the rain and wind out? You can't nail nor screw through laminate. It has to float.
Glue the trim at the fireplace to the fireplace. Your flooring should have at least a 1/4" gap all around the room.
Sometimes a bad day fishing is better than a good day at work Looks as if you overcame.