How even does subfloor need to be?

Old 10-07-11, 09:16 PM
How even does subfloor need to be?

i'm redoing a basement room. the path between the stairs and the garage which includes a door to the laundry room i want to do a floating laminate floor. the rest of the room is going to be carpet. first of all is this a good idea? i wanted a durable, easily cleaned floor for the high traffic area and a comfortable carpet for the rest. the room is about 11' wide and the floating floor section will be about 3-4 feet wide, stair at one end and the garage door at the other. a carpet transition on the one 11' side and a door on the other 11' side. the second question is about the subfloor. the floor is concrete with a layer of 12"x12" tiles over a layer of 9"x9" tiles. the lower level of 9"x9" tile is in tact except for a 4"x6" area in one corner but the 12"x12" layer has a number of missing tiles around the edges and one area by the garage door has all the 12"x12" tiles missing. so no area except the 4"x6" area is more than 1 tile different in height, which looks like an 1/8" or less. can i float the floor directly over that or do i need to do some leveling? if so, what do i need to do?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-11, 10:54 AM
The universal flatness requirement is 3/16" in 10'
smaller areas 1/8" in 6'

Old 10-14-11, 11:30 AM
Group Moderator
Any moisture problems? If so, I would put down ceramic tile instead of laminate.