Making my own flooring

Old 10-17-11, 12:21 PM
Making my own flooring

I am thinking of making my own flooring. I currently have four good sized Black Walnut trees along the front of my yard. I know that the wood is very expensive because of I have had people offer to buy them. Is this a good wood to make into flooring and is it worth it? What do I have to do to make it into flooring?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-11, 06:19 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! I don't see why black walnut wouldn't be a fine floor covering. Now that the niceties are out of the way. It is hard to cut, mill and plane. It will need to be kiln dried or stack dried for at least a year. Then you will need to buy special bits (several) and equipment to mill them with if you don't already have them, and mill the pieces to the same specifications, and put a tongue on one side and end and a groove on the other side and end. By the time you invest in the equipment, wait for the curing and do the work, you may find another use for the black walnut. Yeah it is expensive, and can bring a good dollar to the right person.

Old 10-18-11, 04:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I would assume you would take the logs to a sawmill to get them cut up into the boards [for flooring you don't want them too wide] You could then find a local shop to plane them and cut the T&G.... after the wood has dried.