Which Hardwoods do I have? (probably most common question)

Old 10-18-11, 09:00 AM
Which Hardwoods do I have? (probably most common question)

Hey everyone!

I believe this is my first post in a while. I have just bought my first house and am looking to add some wood floors that match what I currently have. I think it is 2 1/2" oak that was unfinished then stained in the house. Reason I think this is because in a closet I can open a door to under the stairs and you can see unfinished wood.

My questions are: Can anyone confirm what type of floor I have? What would be the best way to get them to match? Where should I look for this type of flooring?

If the answer is I need to buy unfinished oak, then have it all sanded down and refinished i'm fine with that... probably go a little darker and not yellow.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-11, 09:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It looks like oak to me, not sure if it's red oak or white

Old 10-18-11, 09:13 AM
I'll try to get a picture of the exposed non-stained part tonight. Post it in the morning maybe that can help.

Old 10-18-11, 06:37 PM
Ok here are some more pictures that I was able to take. I don't know if any of them will help:

Old 10-19-11, 03:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It's probably red oak. It's the most common, at least in my neck of the woods. The light parts of red oak often look similar to white oak but red oak will have boards that have a reddish cast, white oak won't.

Old 10-19-11, 03:02 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I would definitely go with prefinished flooring. You can match pretty close to what you have and not have to worry with sanding, staining, finishing, and moving out of the house for 3 days.

Old 10-20-11, 09:33 PM
Look closely at the floor. Like on your hands and knees. See the
little streaks in the grain? These are called rays. They are about the width of a pencil line. In Red Oak, they are almost always short (1/8"-1/2"" long) In White Oak, they are longer (3/4"-1" long).
Also, you can see the end grain in one of your pictures. If you
look closely, you can see that the wood is structured in layers.
One layer looks solid, while the adjoining layer looks like a row of
little dots. In Red Oak, those little dots are hollow. If you look carefully (maybe use a magnifying glass) you will be able to see this. In White Oak, most of these dots should look filled in. I hope this helps. Its important to not just rely on the color.