Question Re: Leveling a subfloor

Old 10-19-11, 12:20 AM
Question Re: Leveling a subfloor

Hello all, first post, but I've done a fair bit of looking and searching. Here is my question : I am flattening my subfloor (Plywood) in order to lay down a laminate floor. I have a couple of high spots that I will be sanding down but I also have a couple of low spots (2-4mm)that need to be built up. I have read many posts regarding the use of shingles/felt to build these areas up, but nobody seems to mention if I have to put another layer of plywood over the shingles/felt or just the cork/foam underlay recomended by the manufacturer? Thank you in advance for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-11, 09:51 PM
I would level the floor with a skim compound like feather finish or plani-patch. It drys quickly, is easy to use, and can be sanded perfectly smooth if necessary. If you want to shim, you do this as you're laying the floor. For instance, after you've laid a couple of rows, you slide the the felt paper between the floor and the foam to take up the deflection. Some installers will also use coarse sand to level up low spots.