transition advice? buy or make?

Old 11-21-11, 11:06 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
transition advice? buy or make?

Thanks all for contributing to this threat. It has been great in helping me install my first 800 feet of superior brand red oak truffle throughout the dinning room and one bedroom. Just have another 6 rooms and a hallway to go. I know I have come across it in this threat however there are so many pages now its hard to pinpoint. I have two room transitions. One to a slightly lower floor tile and the other to another room with higher floor which just happens to be hardwood which I think had an additional layer of plywood added to the subfloor making it higher. I showed the hardwood store the picture of the wood floor to the tile and they though I should order a reducer so I did.

However upon further thought it is far to wide for the space I have between the wood and tile and I donít really want to start pulling out boards. I was thinking maybe a T molding would work but the tile may be a little more then 1/4 inch lower then the wood floor? Any thoughts or tips to help me along would be great. I do have a planer with a dremel tool could that be used? I have a table saw but I donít really want to push it with my fingers involved but if you have any suggestions I would be thankful

As can be seen in the photos the old hardwood floor has a reducer already which I would most likely be taking out when I figure out what to do to make this all work out

Again Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-11, 02:43 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Glad you were able to glean information from the site. Your situation may not give you the option of buying a transition piece. I make all mine, but that is a personal thing. I just don't like the cheezy transitions at the stores. If you can find a flooring store that has hardwood transitions in different shapes, you may luck out. First you will need to draw a profile of what you need and start shopping. If you have the tools (table saw, etc.), then making transitions isn't that difficult.

Old 11-22-11, 05:09 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I'll second Chandler. I make all my transitions. That way I get one that matches the situation perfectly and every transition piece in the house is identical.