What direction to lay flooring?

Old 11-23-11, 09:00 AM
What direction to lay flooring?

Here is the situation: I'm laying hardwood flooring in three bedrooms in a house where all of the halls and the main living areas already have hardwood which is laid in one direction throughout, with no transitions between rooms. Two of the rooms are strait forward but the third has a 9 foot long hallway from the door to the room proper. The flooring in the hall outside the door to the room is laid parallel to the door, so if I follow that pattern I'm going to have a 9 foot by 3 foot stretch of floor where the direction of the wood is at right angles to the long side of the little hallway (in other words a whole bunch of 3 foot lengths of flooring). Is this ok?

Second question: since I'm laying a matching material which will butt up to the existing floor in the halls, how should I transition? The existing hallway board has been cut flush to butt up to a carpet transition so should I try to fit the first new piece right alongside the existing piece, or should I use a transition?

Thanks,
Paul

Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-11, 11:09 AM
This is just a general rule of thumb, not written in stone. the wood planks should be layed in the same direction as the natural flow of lighting. With that said, if this flow is at 90 degrees to the currently flow you have 2 choices as I see it. First, use a t-mold at the doorway or second, place the new floor right up to the old.

Old 11-26-11, 12:03 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums, both !! I would remove the last piece of flooring and install a full piece with a full tongue on it. That way, you can change direction and have the groove of the new flooring set in the tongue of the piece you replaced. HOWEVER, if this width takes you too far out in the room, you may indeed have to install your flooring up to this piece, removing the tongue or groove and angle nailing as normal, but closer to the edge (about 2"). Face nailing on the back side may become necessary, just have to wait and see.