Seal the edges of locking engineered wood?

Old 11-24-11, 09:53 AM
Seal the edges of locking engineered wood?

I'm installing a Bruce engineered locking type floating floor. I don't like the bare tongue and groove that would seem to soak up a spill so easily.
Can I wipe a thin film of silicone caulk on there? It would help it slip in and form sort of a "gasket" to seal the joint and waterproof the wood. Just a thought. I just had to take out a bunch from water damage and want to minimize it if it happens again.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-11, 10:40 AM
Can you do it? Yes. Will it be effective? Not really. You will spend alot of time and effort and still most likely end up with water damage if the floor does get wet for any extended period of time. Water always finds it's way either at the seams or even at the edges where the finish ends. You either need to find a way to protect the floor area that could be exposed to water, or rethink your choice of floor products, at least in my opinion. Engineered floating floors are great value for the money, and easy to install, and look great, but with these products there are trade-offs like with anything. Sorry, probably not what you were hoping to hear.

Old 11-24-11, 11:11 AM
Thanks. That's what I want to know. I don't mind going to the effort if it's effective, but I don't want to waste the time if not. And I sure don't want to do something that will be detrimental in the long run.