Banister problem for DIYer

Old 11-24-11, 08:53 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Banister problem for DIYer

So, this floor was my first big DIY project and...I didn't know entirely what I was doing. Live and learn I guess .

Anyway, I was installing some laminate flooring for the first time and wasn't sure what to do about the banister. It's a unique banister which poses problems because there are many small not-square sections of it. You can see the it's layout here.

As you can see, I brought the laminate as close as I could to the banister leaving a 1/8" or so gap. My idea at the time was that I could put quarter-round, or even trim around those edges and fill in the gaps with caulk. The more I thought about it though (after I had done it), the more I though that it wouldn't look very good.

My question: what's the best thing to do here? If I could do it all over again I'd undercut the banister where the ledge sticks out. Not sure what the best thing to do is for the beveled edges. Is there a way I can fix this up without removing the whole floor?

Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-11, 05:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 132 Votes on 118 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I would think that either shoe mold or door stop should look ok. It will be a little tricky to get a decent fit to the profile on the edge. Be sure you nail it to the banister parts and not the thru the flooring.

Old 11-26-11, 11:08 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Just sayin', if it was me, I would think about looking at that mistake for the years and years that floor will be down. This, after all the work you put in! Having thought of that, I would probably unsnap the floor up to the banister and under cut it. In for a penny, in for a pound! I suppose shoe or 1/4 round would look better than it looks now, but, in my opinion, will always look at least a little schlocky.
Again, just sayin'.