Need confirmation of plans - engineered hardwood below grade

Old 11-30-11, 11:05 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need confirmation of plans - engineered hardwood below grade

Hi all...am close to finalizing on finished flooring in basement replacing on-slab carpet which got flooded, twice. Have rerouted ground water and put in a 15kw b/u generator for the sump pump failure, so "eliminate water problems - check".

Am planning to put down Platon or Delta FL (Platon's in stock). Tape it and foam it to preserve parrier. Lay down 3/4 subfloor (leaning towards OSB as consensus seems to be ply more likely to warp). Anchor with tapcons per instructions, including silicon caulk to preserve moisture seals. Finally, lay down engineered maple - right now 5" Millstead from HD.

Sound right? Missing anything? Overkill?

Does anyone have experience with the Millstead brand from HD? A general distrust of the box stores, but the price is right and, more importantly, the width, stain and grain combos are what I was looking for. Find the DIY shopping at the full service flooring guy to be like car buying 20 years ago!

Any opinions about whether my OSB decision is on target and whether I should upgrade it to the advantech which more than doubles the per-sheet price. There will be no external exposure.

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-11, 09:50 PM
I would prep the concrete to make it flat.
Apply Bostik's MVP4, and use Bostik's BST, or BEST adhesive
Or Apply Mapei WFM Planiseal and use Mapei 980, or 990 adhesive.

Wood subfloors in a below grade application, don't do so well.
Heck, they don't do so well on grade, over concrete. Concrete and moisture vapors and the ability for the substrate to be below dew point temperature, are the exact reasons engineered was made.

Last edited by Carpets Done Wright; 12-01-11 at 10:14 PM.
Old 12-01-11, 10:06 PM
Thanks, so staying with OSB since it's below grade...floor is actually remarkably flat with the exception of one area which needs to be ground down. That comes tomorrow!!

Old 12-01-11, 10:16 PM
No, i would not use a wood subfloor, period!

Old 12-02-11, 11:21 AM
Originally Posted by Carpets Done Wright View Post
No, i would not use a wood subfloor, period!
This is the wright answer. ha ha Ask yourself, what possible benefit could you gain by adding another layer of wood based material below grade? God forbid you get water again, because you will be taking up your floor as well as wet, swollen, and screwed down underlayment. Like CDW said, engineered floors were specifically developed for these types of applications. I would either glue it down direct to the concrete with a quality (read that expensive) adhesive, or float it over the recommended underlayment. (usually foam) I'm not a big fan of glue down for DIYers because, unless you are used to it, it can be a real mess. Its also usually more expensive.

Old 12-14-11, 10:41 AM
You may want to consider OVRX instead of platon/delta as it does their job better and it's a subfloor also in one step. Its like Dricore except better. Lowes and HD carry it. I'm using it in my basement and its really nice