Laminate and rug in office

Old 12-06-11, 06:28 AM
Laminate and rug in office

I work all day (and then some) in my home office - large desk and rolling chair. Laminate flooring. I have been using a combination of a non-slip pad (the webbing-type, come from home depot in a box) under a 5x7 rug, replaced often. The challenges here are:

1. I have to keep the front edges of the rug under the weight of the desk to help keep it from slipping/wadding over time, from the chair rolling.

2. It's grinding the backing of the rugs into my floor - even through the non-slip pads (again, the chair rolling around, over time).

I'm open to ANY ideas on a more permanent solution to this. I'm not married to this particular setup.

JimInFL

Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-11, 06:51 AM
I've been pretty successful with this stuff - DuckŪ brand Hold-It for RugsŪ - Non-slip latex roll with an adhesive backing.. I bought it at Home Depot or Lowes except in strips almost like a roll of tape.

Old 12-06-11, 07:12 AM
Thanks jfinn. I can look at that for the stability part - but that's only half. These rugs all see to have some sort of backing that over time, with the chair rolling around, comes off as a grit, and that grinds into my floors.

I was considering maybe a piece of actual carpeting pad underneath the area rug. Would that cause a problem/chemical reaction or anything similar with the floor ?

I suppose, worse case, I just give up, and in my office, have the laminate taken up, and go back to carpet in there. That's really LAST resort though - I like the laminate overall.

Jim In FL

Old 12-06-11, 09:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It won't be as warm on your feet but a clear plastic pad might be a better choice. I have one under my desk chair and while it does move a little [I usually reposition it a couple of times a week] it has done a good job of protecting my oak hardwood. I assume it would work about the same on laminate.

Old 12-06-11, 12:12 PM
marksr - if it's a little different, I can get over it .

Can you be a little more specific ? Is it thick/thin ? Big box store ? Don't think I can quite picture it. I can only envision a regular desk chair protector - those are usually thin, and have little spikes on them for carpet.

jim

Old 12-06-11, 02:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It's similar to the one with the spikes but it's slick on both sides. I think I bought it at Office Max. Mine is a little less than 1/8" thick. I don't remember what it cost, it's been several years.

almost forgot welcome to the forums Jim!

Old 12-07-11, 09:03 PM
Just thinking out loud and outside the box a little here..

What if you got one of those plastic chair mats - the kind without the "nubbins" like Marksr is talking about but put it under the rug rather than on top. That way, at least the grit would be ground into the plastic rather than the laminate.

If you do get a carpet pad, I've read stories about some materials, over time, removing the finish on hardwood floors. Maybe the same thing could happen to laminate - I don't know. I remember that the waffle-weave stuff like I think you have was one of the products that DID mess up the finish after a period of time. I think a regular rebond pad is considered safe though.

Old 12-11-11, 11:31 AM
Just to follow up - haven't had time to get to the store. But thinking outside the box as you say - I could even get one, with the nubs, and flip it nubs up, to help make the rug on top stable . Just tossing some ideas around.

jim

Old 12-11-11, 11:39 AM
Super Moderator
Maybe those commercial interlocking carpet tiles could work? I know I have about 4 or 5 left over from when I used it for some offices I remodeled in the Navy. They aren't the interlocking type...but are similar in construction. They have a rubberized backing and don't break down like your typical foam backed throw rug type.

Old 12-12-11, 05:21 AM
Gunguy - funny you should say that. I was just looking at this - looks interesting.

FLOR modular carpet tiles - Create unique, eco-friendly area rugs, runners & wall-to-wall designs

jim

Old 12-12-11, 06:10 AM
Super Moderator
Well...funny YOU were looking at those...lol. My wife won a rug from them about 4 months ago. It's about 3x6 and looks like river stones.

Those are a bit different from the type I was referring to, but are very similar. They have a rubber back and are held together with some small (3" or so) adhesive discs along the seams. They work ok, but we wound up putting it on out back porch. I think they are more decorative and unique than they are practical.

I was talking about commercial carpet squares...which are much heavier and have a flatter heavier pile. Not as many pattern choices, but they stand up to traffic very well. We used them in 3 barracks buildings I managed on an Army base as well as the offices I re-habbed. It was nice to be able to just pull one up when it was damaged or badly stained. Now, those used a "tacky" back and were completely filling the room wall to wall, but I think they also made interlocking ones.