Pergo Max Laminate over sheet vinyl and vinyl tiles

Old 12-11-11, 02:34 PM
Pergo Max Laminate over sheet vinyl and vinyl tiles

I will install new floating laminate or engineered wood in 3 rooms on ground floor of 20 year old house in Maryland with slab foundation and various existing flooring in each of the target rooms.

I've read all the pros and cons, and think I want to use laminate.

I really like the look of the Pergo Max (10mm) Emerson Maple laminate.

Q: Is the Pergo Max laminate good quality?

Next questions are about floor prep.

Flooring will be installed in foyer, 1/2 bath, corner of family room, kitchen, and dining room. I'll have following the transitions from laminate to wall-to-wall carpeting: Foyer Lam to LivingRoom carpet, laminate in corner section of FamilyRoom to FamilyRoom carpet, and Dining room Lam to living room carpet

Kitchen & Dining room are currently separate rooms, but a wall will be removed to create one room.

Currently flooring in each of these rooms:
-Foyer: clean, stable well adhered sheet vinyl with slight random stone pattern over ???
-Family room: Carpet over padding and bare concrete.
-Kitchen: One layer of cushioned sheet vinyl over a layer of square vinyl tiles with asbestos (confirmed by lab)
-Dining Room: Carpet over ???

I wonder if I can avoid removing the asbestos vinyl tile from the kitchen. (I already removed some of this tile from my utility room prior to laying sheet vinyl in that room. For that job, I followed safety recommendations and removed all the tiles and glue down to bare concrete.)

Is it realistic to hope that I can remove the sheet vinyl from the kitchen, leave the vinyl tiles primarily intact, fill in any low spots in the vinyl tile, then, use some kind of extra under-layment in the foyer and dining room to raise all three rooms to the same height.

If I really do need to remove the vinyl tile (according to safety procedures), can I leave the fine glue residue that won't come up with a scraper, and should I paint over the residue to help contain it?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-11, 05:24 PM
Since flatness requirements are 3/16" in 10 feet, you may get by with skimcoating to float the abrupt edge of the tiles.

You can go over the tiles, it is where they stop and the abrupt edge where the transition use to be, that can bite you.

Old 12-14-11, 03:26 PM
My preferred solutions are 1) remove tile but leave the glue residue or 2) add extra under-layment shimming materials in other rooms to bring level

Which do you recommend?

Old 12-18-11, 07:18 PM
Originally Posted by davidhmd View Post
My preferred solutions are 1) remove tile but leave the glue residue or 2) add extra under-layment shimming materials in other rooms to bring level

Which do you recommend?

Remove.

I didn't read where you said there was a complete layer of underlayment. I thought it was just tiles.

Wait, you are over concrete???

Old 12-19-11, 12:13 AM
Whole first floor is concrete slab.

Kitchen is located between dining and foyer, and I will do laminate in all 3 rooms.

Kitchen has 2 layers of existing flooring: top layer is cushioned sheet vinyl, under the sheet vinyl is a layer of vinyl tiles.

Dining room is probably bare concrete under the carpet.

Foyer, has sheet vinyl and I don't know what's under the foyer sheet vinyl.