Flooring from Build Direct is Defective

Old 12-16-11, 07:56 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Flooring from Build Direct is Defective

I purchased over 2000 Sq. Feet of Build Directs Vanier Cosmopolitan Santos Mahogany engineered hardwood flooring. It was acclimated per instructions, and installation by a professional installer was mostly complete when I began to notice cracks and some delamination where the top wood layer came unglued from the underlying plywood layers.

I called Build Direct, further installation was halted. It took many weeks before Build Direct finally had an inspector come to look at the flooring. All during this period of waiting, more and more of the flooring was delaminating and cracking. The inspector stayed for about 35 minutes, did not even look at one level of the house with flooring issues, did not even look at unused wood exhibiting the same issues, and then wrote a report stating no conclusions or determination for the delaminations. Build Direct however came up with their own conclusions of installer errors.

I hired my own independent certified flooring inspector who is also certified as an expert witness in my state to do an inspection. He did a 3 1/2hour inspection measuring moisture in multiple locations, looked at all flooring areas, and examined unused wood. His report stated that delamination WAS A MANUFACTURING ISSUE, and that the cracks (checking) WAS A MANUFACTURING ISSUE as well. Build direct has refused to support their defective product, only offering to sell me DIFFERENT wood at a discount (if there is nothing wrong with the wood; why would they not offer to sell me the same wood and instruct to have it installed with "proper" installation conditions?)

In conclusion, a certified wood flooring inspector has determined that Build Directs product has manufacturing issues related to the delamination and cracking in my newly purchased flooring. Build Direct's inspector issued no opinion and as it turns out is not even certified to do wood flooring inspections. Still Build Direct is not supporting their defective product. DO NOT BUY FROM THIS RETAILER. Do not make the same mistake that I made. The product is made in China, and Build Direct is based in Canada making it difficult to sue them. Build Direct will make excuses for not supporting defective products despite the expert opinion of a certified, expert witness certified, wood flooring inspector confirming that their product has manufacturing issues causing my flooring to delaminate and crack.

Old 12-16-11, 08:04 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
A few examples of the new flooring I purchased from Build Direct which was determined by a Certified Wood Flooring Inspector to have manufacturing issues which Build Direct refuses to support

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: